Fun runs are not high school
High school cross-country practice was five days a week. In the good years, the same seven to ten guys all ran together on most runs. In the lean years, the same three or four were all there day in and day out. There was always an element of competition, even in practice. It took a lot of willpower and the occasional reminder from Coach that every day was not a race. The group of guys were working toward the same races.
There's an element of competition at the fun runs I attend. The difference is there is less familiarity, no coach, and everybody is on his or her own race schedule. Last night, I felt good, so I rejoined the "fast guys" who headed out the door claiming they would run about seven minute per mile pace. It quickly became obvious that false modesty was at play here. I struggled to get my legs moving to keep up with the pair I was now running behind. I suppose I could have slowed and maintained the agreed upon pace, but instead I was caught up in going lickety-split. I suspect we were out in a touch over six minute per mile pace for the first mile or so. I found my stride and soon after, the man I had bounded after announced that he was feeling fatigued. I thought it was more false modesty until he pulled up and slowed way down. Annoyed, with my legs awake, I decided to continue on at a quick pace. I didn't see the point in ripping off a first mile and then slowing way down. The respectful thing to do would have been to communicate that plan from the start. My suspicion is that the real intent had been to run us off the pace, slow down, and then keep us uncomfortable in the event that we had caught back up. That plan failed when I didn't go away. So, the new plan was to pound out the rest of the run as best I could on my own. I slowed a little, but still think I was running about six-fifteen to six-twenty pace. I was alone, just off race pace for the five mile distance and feeling great on a perfect evening.
I really appreciate having people to run with. It makes me miss that high school team experience. As I go to these runs, I need to make sure that I am building toward my goals, because no one else is looking out for them. Fortunately, my goal last night was to have a good crisp run. It got a little crispier than expected, but I'll take it.
No comments:
Post a Comment