Tuesday, May 12, 2009

More advertising

I've seen live advertising before, but it usually takes the form of young gentlemen spinning signs or folks dressed up in ridiculous costumes, like hot dogs. I've also seen live advertising at events like conventions or concerts. The last two days, I've seen lunch time live advertising on the streets of DC. Monday it took the form of two guys camping out on the street corner. They had a tent, a pine tree, and were pretending to roast marshmallows over a fire. They were unobtrusive, but eye-catching. It was an ad for Zipcar, a company I'm a fan of that rents cars hourly, and their sign said something like "You'll need us to get here." I dug it. Today, I found five women in fancy clothes carrying large shopping bags from recognizable department stores. They chattered together as they walked down the street. Their chatter was broadcast from their microphones and through speakers on a wagon. Every hundred yards or so, they would stop and stage a fashion intervention among themselves. I admit I didn't pay too much attention, but I and some of my fellow lunchers were annoyed. It felt like an invasion. It was blatantly fake and since it was some kind of performance I had the urge to boo. I didn't, but I returned to my office to complain. When I told my coworkers, they said, "Well, all PR is good PR. They've got you talking." I was talking, but I've got a bad taste in my mouth. I wasn't the target audience, and I certainly wasn't encouraged to go shopping.

I'm curious to know if live advertising is worth it. I suspect these people were paid minimum wage. They probably got several thousand views. I like the effort even if I don't like the execution.

No comments: