Sprain boy drones on
I'm fairly sick of being in my own head. When that happens I usually try to avoid this here dee-verrr-sion, but not today. Today I'm going to prattle on about sprains, overcoming hardship, and how much I miss the use of my foot. Or I'm going to write six more sentences, look angrily at the screen and push "Publish Post" and walk away. Only time will tell.
I've learned some interesting lessons in the last week. A bus driver told me that crutches never get easier no matter how many times you use them. I've learned that people are basically helpful and mindful. They'll open doors. They'll ask how you are. They'll try to help you. If they like you, this helpful/mindful-ness seems to quadruple. If they're in a hurry, then not so much. I've also had to learn that it's easier and sometimes even entirely necessary to accept this helpfulness. Because it turns out that doors weighted to close on their own can be a real pain. Bathtubs can be particularly difficult to negotiate. There is no obvious way to go grocery shopping- I can't figure out how to hold a basket or how to push a cart and use crutches.
My jumping has become very useful. I find I can go short distances carrying items and hopping. This was particularly effective for negotiating stairs (Hop, hop, hopping down two flights has been some of my best work), for packing a car for a trip, and for transporting dinner and snacks from the kitchen to the couch. I also can be effective in a crawl. The problem is tile. I've considered investing in some kneepads, but I usually have to stand when I get to my destination anyway.
Once I find a rhythmn I do pretty well, but changing things up can be rough. Almost all of my near-falls have come when I've gone from sitting to standing, from crutching to hopping, or the reverse, or when I stop and try to restart. So far, I've either landed in a sitting position or jammed my shoulder into a wall or grabbed onto a handle before tumbling to the ground. I can imagine that one of these times I won't be so lucky.
In conclusion, don't sprain your ankle. And get to work on your plyometrics, they'll make life easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment