Sunday, February 19, 2006

Erwin, TN is my new arch nemesis
Sorry, R, you had your shot.

I've never met a town quite like Erwin. Then again, when I met Erwin, I thought it was Weaverville. First impressions can set the tone of a relationship. I circled Erwin several times and long enough to get stuck waiting for a train to pass on my first visit. I did manage to notice the town had a Sonic and a Presbyterian church. One of those would entice me to return. On my second pass I was headed for gas and for Sonic. God would have to wait in another town. I managed both and only moments from the highway. It's been a while since I've been to Sonic. It turns out they've phased out my favorite item- the Hickory Burger. For the first time I can recall, I piped up and asked about a menu item.

"Do you guys still make a Hickory Burger?"
"(Muffled sounds), lettuce, bar-b-que sauce?"
"That sounds right."
"I can make that for you."
"Sweet."

Ah, Erwin, perhaps I misjudged you. I got my burger and then got stuck at a railroad crossing. Come on. I had a schedule to keep. I had to be home before the dawning of the age of Aquarius. The train wasn't interested in my schedule. It rolled past slowly. The conductor gave me a wave. I had time to count his moles. Thankfully, I didn't. I sat for a while. Then I pulled out my lunch and ate for a while. In the meantime the train rolled forward and backward several times. Forward and backward. Erwin, what's this all about?

With the slightly disappointing burger gone, and the tots gone, I was running out of ways to pass the time at an Erwin intersection. Eventually I gave up, turned around and headed another route to the highway. I knew I could get there from my first experience.

I finally hit the highway, chomped on black jelly beans and guzzled sweet tea (SWEET TEA! from a gallon jug. There's a taste sensation. Yum. That combination carried me most of the way home.

Other than the Erwin hiccups, I haven't had such a fine drive in a long time. A car (with automatic transmission) is a wonderful place for the sprained to remember, to sing, to dance, and to enjoy the scenery. All of that and a destination too.

No comments: