I should take my own advice
Here's the letter I just wrote my team.
Dear Team,
This is a sad email because I’m sad.
In November, you told me that Ultimate mattered. I don’t believe you this week. Was the end of January getting you down? Because it’s over. Did I misunderstand your intentions? Do you want to go to Sectionals and cause a stir? Because it’s not going to happen if we have many more weeks like this.
Look. I know Ultimate is not your top priority. Sane people don’t make plastic discs number one in their life, but you’ve got to make it near the top. Your teammates are putting it up there. You said you wanted to put it up there. Now do it.
I know it’s cold. I know it rains. I know you’re tired. Guess what? In a few years, you’re not going to remember that February 1 was cold and you were sleepy. You might remember that you and your team took down a giant at Sectionals. Or that you played beautiful Ultimate with an incredible bunch of guys laying it on the line. The only way to make those memories is to play for it now. To be a team, you have to play as a team. You have to test one another every time you have the chance to play.
I can’t make you play Ultimate. Dan can’t make you play. You are the only one that can make that decision.
Figure out what you want and then go get it. Or sit around and regret it.
Life is all about choices.
-Dave
No comments:
Post a Comment