Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Follow that bird
It's moustache-freezing cold. I'm not complaining, I am just stating for the record that sometimes I should check the temperature before I leave the house without my gloves. And speaking of the temperature, the Ultimate News (you too can get the Ultimate newsletter by being a UPA member) is full of HOT! HOT! HOT! pictures that make me want to play Ultimate.
Real.
Bad.
Instead I'm riding an exercise bike and making my big goal be the return of my freshman-year abs. I don't even know if that's possible. That might be like asking for the return of my freshman-year hair. Both seem like myths these days, but I decided that if I could choose the return of one or the other, I would pick the abs over the hair. Surprised? I was. I bet you didn't know I was this vain. It turns out there is a lot of time for vanity when you run out of things to read. I'm not exactly out, but I just finished The Effect of Living Backwards by Heidi Julavits. I think I bought it because the cover reminded me of The Time Traveler's Wife (Great book, I tell you again.) and because there was a Dave Eggers quote on the front. The thing is, I'm not really that fond of Dave Eggers anyway and this is no Time Traveler's Wife. It's some weird cockamammy hijacking story with psychology mixed in for reasons that I'm not entirely clear about. It wasn't awful or anything. It just wasn't that good. Maybe it would be better if I had a sister, no, that's not it, since I do have a sister. Maybe it'd be better if I was a sister and was incredibly manipulative. Yea. Whatever and Spanglish would've been better if I'd had kids. They can't all be Garden State can they you whiney little...

Anyway, it's better than The Rocking Chair Reader which has wonderful intentions but turns out to be a poor man's Chicken Soup for the Soul. It was also far more readable than The Seat of the Soul which could probably change my life if I would only let it. We know how those things go, don't we? (wink. wink.)

In conclusion, I do not need a Mac mini, but a cake would be nice.

Thank you for listening and for supporting Bartles&James. (Do you remember those guys? Are they still alive? Do they have jobs anymore?)

No comments: