Thursday, June 03, 2004

So this is how it's gonna be
I joined a very low key, come-if-you-want running group at work today. We ran pretty slowly, but having company was really nice. There was one little topic that made me uncomfortable. It's not really their fault, but it went like this.

"So, like, have any of you guys ever run a 4-minute mile?"
At this point we must be churning along at 10 minutes per mile.
We let out a small chorus of nearly scoffed No's.
"Have you been close?"
I kind of mumble, "relatively". I think I was ok with leaving it at that until somebody said "Under 5." I don't know if it was his statement or a question, but I couldn't leave it alone anymore.
"Well, yea, under 5," I said.
"Yea?"
"4:18," I said. I'm proud of the time, don't get me wrong. Those of you that knew me back when, know that's three 100ths slower than I used to say was my best mile time. It's just... I don't know what I'm feeling. And I don't know when it became not ok to be really proud of what I have accomplished.

No comments: