Orkutyerheartout
A friend of mine, we'll call him Adrian because that's his name, invited me to join orkut. Orkut, at first glance appears to be much as I imagined Friendster to be. I never joined Friendster, because no one ever invited me. I assumed this meant I had no "ter" because I still maintain that I had and have friends.
These Friendster/Orkut type places seem to be about networking socially and professionally and longitudinally or something. I am not an avid networker. One, if one was so inclined, might call me borderline miserable at networking. Seemingly, a site which would allow me to network from the safety of my own computer would make for an excellent resource. That is until I realized that Orkut SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME. Don't believe me? When I terminated my account (after asking Kristin and Reuben to be my friends, no less) the Ork people had a little exit interview that asked why I terminated my account. My response, and I quote, "This scares the crap out of me." See?
My first question after "Why did this scare the crap out of me?" was, "What's the difference between a blog and a networking site?" I struggled with this question for a little while. Here, you have to come up with some of the answers on your own. I don't just tell you that I'm a decent fellow, it is required that you infer it from my tales and my one liners. (I'm a decent fellow.) I don't think I like being in list format, even for my friends of my friends to see. I'm not comfortable with the picture that presents. If you want a fairly accurate picture of me I suppose you could read all the archives at Do Topia and figure things out, but that requires some effort and again requires your perceptions of me, more than my perceptions of me, though the two can't ever really be truly separate, especially in an environment like this. (Another way to get an accurate picture of me is to mail $19.95 to P.O. Box ... ) Then is it merely volume that gives me privacy? I'm not sure.
What I do know is that networking sites are not for me. I'm more than a list and if I really need to meet a friend of a friend, I hope you'll introduce us.
No comments:
Post a Comment