Thursday, November 28, 2002

Thing not cool about "The East Coast": It takes 6+ hours to drive 250 miles. What's with that?


Thing cool about "The East Coast": I get to spend Thanksgiving with family


Open letter to the trendsetters/hip/cool



Dear Sir or Madam:
I would first like to say that I admire your work. Save a few exceptions (leggings, tight-rolled jeans, etc.) your fashion sense has been fabulous, or fab-O-lus as I sometimes like to say. I especially like what you've done with black.
I am writing because I have a request. Could you please make high school letter jackets cool for the 20+ crowd? This would certainly make me feel better about the most expensive article of clothing I own. It's time we all got a little more use out of our leather-sleeved, name-tagged, personal accomplishment list. As an aside, I should mention that I'm certainly not opposed to people adding new patches of accomplishments to this pending fashion trend. So if say someone wants an "Employee of the Month" patch or a "J-school Grad" patch I would be all for it. Then again this sort of thing may be better left to people like you.
It would really mean a lot to me if I could slip that jacket of mine back on in the name of "cool". It's been 6 years since I've been able to wear the thing in public. You don't have to go all out here; this could be one of those trends that barely registers in most people's conciousness--like a "Fonz" jacket resurgence, rather than say a Regis Philbin clothing line.
The main benefits of a fashion coup of this nature in my humble opinion are:
1. Nostalgia. Twenty somethings love that sort of thing.
2. Recycled trends always get the best media coverage
3. It's already taking up space in the closet, why not wear it?
4. It'd be cool, because you say "it's cool."
I've presented my case to you. Now I beg you to take up this cause. Not only can you use your powers of cool to make the world a better place, but this is your chance to save a lot of those artificial animals that are sacrificed to make the artificial leather sleeves. It's the artificially humane thing to do.
Oh, and if you have some spare time could you bring swing dancing back "in" for another run. Thanks.
Sincerely,
David

No comments: