I had a rough time sleeping on the cot in the tee-pee as expected. Horses came around to eat the grass near the tents and I tried to lie still while they ate. It was nerve-wracking. One chose the grass just on the other side of the canvas from my cot. I could hear it well, but the shadow of the horse's head confirmed the crap out of it. I finally slid to the floor of the tee-pee to get some sleep. I got up once to go to the bathroom. I found no horses, but did enjoy a star-filled sky.
I didn't get my morning swim in, but had enjoyed a chilly jump in before the previous evening's bonfire. It was refreshingly coooold! Post-jump the mosquitoes feasted on my flesh. Their hunger meant we didn't last long at the bonfire. Instead we chose to play Clue in our tee-pee. C broke M's winning streak, though I was nipping at her heels.
We were at the West Yellowstone visitor's center by 8. I was first through the door and got some camping advice. Our initial destination was full, but we found a place to stay at Indian Creek. M headed home. We got the tent set up and headed out to take in a few more sites. Mammonth Hot Springs was curious. Wraith FAlls was disappointing, although we did kick off our shoes for a while to cool our feet in the stream and drink our blackberry-flavored drinks. Tower Falls was pretty, the petrified tree didn't seem scary at all, and Yellowstone fatigue has set in. It's too big. There's too much. All this driving is no way to enjoy a park. Tomorrow we'll try to do better.
In fact, we purchased liquid gold bear spray so we can really get out and see some wildlife. I'm scared to have it, but the Big Horn Pass trail seems too obscure not to take it on. We did some see more elk and got some good photos of them grazing and playing in "town" at Mammoth Springs. Now it's dinner time, but our luck has run out and the rains have arrived. Hopefully it won't last.
No comments:
Post a Comment