Wednesday, September 03, 2014

August 17 and 18: GTNP to Yellowstone

Today we had the full Jenny Lake experience. We hiked clockwise around the lake, snapping photos and heading toward the Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point. We were never alone, especially as we neared the falls. Others were regularly being shuttled across the lake to join in the fun. The falls was pretty, but not very memorable. Inspiration Point had an all-encompassing view of Jenny Lake and gave the name Jackson Hole considerable context. We stayed at the point for lunch and then hiked the long section around continuing in our clockwise direction. With some help from hikers headed the other way, I saw an eagle's nest among the burnt trees.

We searched for a spot to swim, but couldn't find one. We returned to camp, changed into our swimsuits and set out clockwise again in search of a remembered rock. After another mile, we'd searched enough and settled on a swimming spot that seemed passable. After some coaxing everyone got in. The water was cold, fed by glaciers, but it felt refreshing too. Having swum, hiked, and camped Jenny Lake, we finished the day with bratwurst and less than stellar pie-iron peach cobbler. The biscuits didn't seem to work so well. Still, warm peaches aren't all bad. We closed out the day with Crazy 8's and Egyptian Rat Screw. M bested us in both.

8/18- We woke up early, but weren't able to break camp until 8:30. We left Grand Teton behind and made our way to Yellowstone. Our stops were frequent. We hiked to a natural bridge that lacked self-confidence, but with enthusiasm, I say, "It's like a miniature of the natural bridges in Utah." I've never been to the Utah bridges and my enthusiasm rings false.

The Upper Falls were impressive and Artist's Point was a palette of rock colors with a backdrop of river and falls. As we drove along, the river was often just off the road and it snaked and charmed its way into my heart. I kept hoping I'd see a bear catching a fish, but only managed a deer and some elk. (Speaking of elk, I heard a call as I wrote this entry. I only heard ambulance sirens as I typed it.)

We stopped to see Mud Volcano and other gaseous earth bubblers. M craved egg salad sandwiches, so our lunch by the river surely disappointed. We stopped to view some lounging bison and continued to pick and choose our gaseous bubbling spots. Around 3:30 we left Yellowstone to head to our accommodations in Montana.

We're in a camp called Yellowstone under tarp, no I mean Yellowstone Under Canvas. It's glamping- glamorous camping; but although kind of fun and curious, it also seems like a scam. We're in a tee-pee, 3 cots with sleeping bag and foam. The view from the tee-pee is big sky, gorgeous, but no food is allowed in the camp; they'd like us to go to their restaurant. I think we'll return to town instead.

We had dinner at the slippery otter. The girls got IDed, but the bartender "had seen me there before". Guess my doppleganger is enjoying some sweet scenery.

I have high hopes for the bonfire and a morning swim. This place looks like it might be fun in a big group. It will be fun in a small group. I'm just a cheapskate who prefers the floor. The shower was great, the big tents look fancy with queen beds and stoves. It's good to confirm now and again that I'm a tent guy.

No comments: