Friday, September 13, 2013

8/28/13- In 2 parts

Morning- Goodbye Hemingway writing desk and Sylvia Beach hotel with your rooms full of kindred reading spirits. I'd like to escape the soft bed, but your floor was serviceable. I'd like to run from the smell of my boot, but it follows me like another traveling companion. I tried Bri's Febreze, but as another breeze blows through my toes, the noxious odor wafts into my nose. There's no escaping it; I can't write my way out of this one. I'll have to live with the smell or check the foot- ba-BA- BAAAA 

Evening- The smell lives on as the day draws to a close. It did not abate at the delicious breakfast of pancakes, sausage and a collection of cakes. It did not abate in the walk to and through the industrial looking bayfront district. It didn't even abate in the car on the way to Otis. Actually, there it mingled with the dirty clothes and not-quite-dry tents to give our little Kia that lived in high school locker room smell. We stopped at the Devil's Punch Bowl, but he wasn't serving, so we had another walk on the beach and photo shoot. That's kind of our thing.

At Otis, we stopped at a diner of the same name. The was out the door, but we didn't wait long. The food was good. I had a Mexican omelette (2nd breakfast!) and hash browns. The homemade bread toast was amazing. I savored both slices, one of molasses bread and one of whole wheat. They were so good that later when I found crumbs in my teeth, I rejoiced a little bit because I had the chance to savor a little more.

The Tillamook cheese factory was a treat of conveyor belts, cheese, and ice cream. They have a million visitors and so were well prepared to serve us. I had a Tillamook Mudslide milkshake and enjoyed watching the cheese get packaged on the factory floor.

Next we landed in Seaside where the "boardwalk" is a "promenade" and the beat up touristy wares are hawked a street over. We stopped in a Carousel mall and visited a store called "Mostly Hats". The sales associate kindly asked if we were looking for anything. I said, "Hats, mostly." We didn't stay long in Seaside.

Tonight we're living it up in a Yurt. It's like being in a space shuttle with bunk beds. Dinner was cheese (Tillamook!) and crackers and three bottles of Oregon beer. No we're in our bunk bed readying our Yurt for the final frontier of sleep. The countdown won't begin until we've done a little more reading. P.S. It's raining. Point- Yurt.


No comments: