Saturday, January 07, 2006

Reveling in "so close"
I knew the disc was headed to the corner. The man I was covering was headed that way and he had me by a step. The throwers eyes lit up as she pivoted. She cocked back and fired a flick to his outside. I cut into the path and gave chase to the waist-high spinning disc. In that instant that I planted my feet, I had visions of making it "Dave food." I laid out, extending myself horizontally in the air, but I came up short. It was like my arms shrank in mid-air. I stood, mud splattered from my thighs to my chest, and trotted back down the field. Most of my day would go just like that. I seemed to be a step or two from the big play. I got dirty though. And I made the little plays. The right throws, the easy catches, the gnat-like defense were all working. It was 35 degrees. The sun was shining. The gloves were off and the disc was flying. If that's so close, I think I'll take it.

No comments: