So, how do you feel about football?
I was crushed to find out that the Cardinals lost last night. I had a tiny rooting interest in the team from the other side of home, but I haven't watched a baseball game in ages. So why was I crushed? A deep hatred for the Astros? Hardly. Then why was I glancing over shoulders and missing parts of conversation to see how the Cards were doing? Why was I watching innings of a game that hasn't held me for more than a few pitches since the last strike? It was all her fault. I had been secretly praying for this series to go seven games. It didn't and I'm crushed because playoff blogs like playoff hopes can't last forever. In her eyes, I could remember baseball as it should be, as my grandpa saw it, and not the way I see it now. She captured those things that don't really matter and made them ache with importance again. Things that aren't money, or steroids. Things like sport and class. Things that make people stand up and cheer.
There's always next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment