Sunday, August 21, 2005

It started with jam and ended in toast
My wedding registry is shrinking. This isn't a particularly acute problem since I have neither nuptials nor a registry. Still, it's concerning. How will our friends express their desire for our lifelong happiness if not through small appliances? I'm getting ahead of myself though. Let's go back a few weeks to that fateful trip to Safeway.

Wandering the aisles with list in hand, I noticed that Safeway jam was "Buy one Get one FREE." My jelly and jam choices have never really wavered. I'm a Welch's grape guy. Jam, jelly, it's Welch's grape. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in my life have been grape 590 times out of 600. This is law. This is set in stone. There is not room for variety. There is not need for variety, but "Buy one Get one FREE?" How tempting. Not in the peanut butter and jelly sense, more in the toast sense. Wouldn't it be nice to have a little variety on my toast? It would. Nicer still if I had a toaster. Which at that time I did not. And yet, that didn't stop me from snatching up a couple of jam jars. Raspberry, peach, welcome to the fridge.

Sans toaster, I realized that I now had two jars of jam that would likely go to waste. I decided to try them with peanut butter on a sandwich. Now this would go on to open up a whole new world for me, but that's for another day. Right now, I want to focus on the fact that sandwich variety really did nothing for my toast craving.

I borrowed a toaster for my breakfast-as-dinner on Thursday and my new jams were jam-tastic. Mouthwatering, savory. If I was a testimonial on a jam commercial I couldn't say nicer things.

This only served to further illuminate my need for a toaster.

Taking control of the situation I purchased a sleek black small appliance of my very own.

Jam. It changes everything.

No comments: