Monday, July 11, 2005

Highlight of a really good day
It's unfair to say that I made a beautiful girl laugh, because then you'll only think of her physical characteristics. Her big brown photographable eyes and her flowing curly reddish-brown hair, of now unknown length. It's unfair to say that her laugh rushed me back to late nights in a lounge in a hall on a campus in the middle of Missouri, because then you'll focus on the past. The picture of her legs and arms twisted into uncomfortable-looking comfort in ill-fitting yet endearing clothes as she talked animatedly from a tabletop. This laugh didn't happen in the past. It may have been a product of the past, the way that mango juice is a product of clouds; vital sure, but not directly connected.

I can't describe the laugh because it instantly filled me with joy. It wouldn't be right to say it was full or throaty or genuine. I can't tell the joke because it wasn't memorable in the ways of talking muffins or pickles on motorcycles.

I could tell you about the rest of my day and that might give you some measure of the laugh's magnitude. Work was fast and rewarding and my day was filled with praise. Dinner was simple and delicious, dirty rice and leftover hamburger helper. I shared my writing and a little of my soul with Kella and then I shared some smooth soft drinks with her too. There was a breeze blowing off a local fountain that cooled the otherwise hot humid evening. So often Kella has the ability to make me feel like my wisdom isn't temporary, like just maybe I've figured something out and she's kind enough to help me with the parts still unfigured. Somehow our meandering conversation took me back to a shirt, the sexiest shirt I have ever known. It was a blue cowboy shirt, more blue than cowboy. It had tiny white blurry checks, not paisley, and cowboy shirt snaps. Its owner once told me it was a sexy shirt and there is no faster way to make me a non-believer than to tell me something, but when she put it on I was a goner. I almost cried just thinking about it. My knees are getting weak at this very moment. The shirt like the laugh had an indescribable quality about it. That's a good day, and a great laugh. The laugh meant "you can be funny." It meant, "I can be happy."

I can be funny. You can be happy. Laughs are joyous occasions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading this always makes me smile.