Wednesday, June 15, 2005

stuff not entirely related to sandwiches
The problem with having a friend named after a sandwich is that if the friend is a respectable kind of person, then I start to think the sandwich is a respectable kind of sandwich. It doesn't take long at all and I'm confusing my feelings for the sandwich with my feelings for the friend. So, if I've got a friend named "Crap Hoagie" and I really like him (despite his terribly unfortunate name), then when I'm out for a meal and I see "Crap Hoagie" on the menu, I think fondly, "I like Crap Hoagie, I think I'll order me some of that."

Don't you know it, the quality of the friend has nothing to do with the quality of the sandwich, but now I'm stuck with a bum lunch and it's all Crap Hoagie's fault. The next time I see Crap Hoagie I might glare at him most distastefully and he'll only be able to wonder why.

stuff not entirely related to American arrogance
My Morrocan coworker was telling me that she had never been to a hotel in the United States. I was trying to tell her that the hotels were probably not that different. She told me that it didn't matter. She wanted to be able to compare 4-star hotels so that when she was talking with her friends about why Americans are so arrogant she could say, "the conceriege works so much faster in an American hotel." I tried to tell her that I didn't think that was why Americans were arrogant. Then she went on to say that she had read about the phones in the airports. I didn't know what phones she was talking about. Finally after some back and forth she explained to me that she was talking about the phones in the airport at the kiosk for hotels. The ones where you didn't have to dial, you could just pick up and they would connect to the hotel. "See. We don't have phones like that. That's why Americans are arrogant."

I could only laugh. My arrogant laugh.

No comments: