There are moments when I feel pretty funny
I was at a wedding shower this afternoon. At that shower, each guest was asked to share one piece of advice with the bride-to-be about her impending matrimony and beyond. There were nearly 30 people in the room. We went around the table, and I quickly deduced that I would be giving the last piece of advice. I was surrounded by people that had been married for years, several as many as 25. Several had been married more than once. A few people made jokes, but mostly everyone took to giving advice quite seriously. Most of the advice fell into one of three categories. They told the bride-to-be to communicate. They told her to compromise. And they told her to keep her own identity. Heartfelt advice came from nearly every person's mouth. It was impressive and I couldn't think of a thing to add, except...
I looked at the group around the table and I said, "I'm feeling unqualified to offer much advice." There were a few snickers. I turned to my friend, the bride-to-be, and I said, "So I'll tell you my favorite advice to give, 'Ignore unsolicited advice.'"
No comments:
Post a Comment