Thursday, January 20, 2005

Four more years (gulp)
After the 10 inches in 45 minutes crawl en route to the pat-me-down tent, and after the Eagle scout b**** was unable to bully her way through the line thanks to a man more resolute than me, I finally got touched all over by a security agent who was slightly suspicious of my wallet and sandwich. He still managed to send me on my way with literally minutes to spare before that old judge swore in that presidential guy. I was too far away to see, although after about 10 minutes I think I figured out which speck in the distance must be speaking. I could hear just fine, but it still seems to me he pretty much said, "Freedom good. Tyranny bad." This is a message I generally support, even when spoken by a man that I generally don't. Despite my misgivings about this country's decision in November, I have to say that hearing a president speak with the capitol as the backdrop is a special experience. There's something pretty powerful about hearing words like freedom, liberty, and America echo around the mall. Several people called it a "once-in-a-lifetime experience". Seeing as this is the second inauguration for this guy and the third for this family and the fact that there seems to be one of these about every four years, I'm not sure I agree with that. Then again I don't agree with fur coats and I saw more of those today than I have ever seen before in my life. What do I know anyway?

No comments: