Thursday, April 15, 2004

Dude. Who was that?
I chuckled when Randy shed his email identity. How can you be attached to an address? Silly man.

Who is laughing now? With the lease on my AOL account up it isn't me. At first I felt like I was sending a little piece of me off to the electric chair. It'd be gone forever. No one would write. No one would call. (I realize that my email address does not affect Carriage House call volume, but I have noticed that when no one writes, she also calls.) I was that unpronounceable string of letters followed by @aol.com for almost 8 years. In 8 years I've grown. a. beard. And some other stuff and my online identity was there the whole time. Was I an extension of it or it an extension of me? (I have this same trouble with hobbies. I'm working on it.)

I did it though. I created a new identity, more powerful and more pronounceable than the last. I emailed everyone I knew, half of their addresses were no longer valid, meaning I know half the people I thought...

Already I have seen astounding results. Neighbors from freshman year of college are stopping in to say hello. My father has mocked me. It's all quite telling really. It tells me what I used to do before I was blogging (a big concern of mine last week). I was emailing individuals.

Which means in 8 years I've become increasingly distant... You're lucky I shared any of that...

Geez, you're nosey.

No comments: