Hey KIDS!
I thought I'd try to live blog the State of the Union address. I'll give my reactions as we go. A few disclaimers before we start:
1. I really just need a new blog post, I don't expect to pull out much insight.
2. I usually don't last the whole state of the union.
3. It somehow seems important to watch since I'm down the street.
9:13 It's nice to see the ceremony of politics sometimes. It gets so much more polite than the rest of the TV shows that I watch about politics. Let's go. (edited that comment a bit).
9:15 Is Joe Biden updating his Facebook page?
9:18 Xerox corporation CEO? It's been a busy day for Xerox in my life.
9:19 Nice. I like the spin on what the election meant. Figure it out together.
9:21 Oh. I just realized why there were so many police officers around the capitol tonight. (forehead slap).
9:23 "The future is ours to win." I missed the how.
9:24 Oh. That's the rest of the speech. Thanks, Obama.
9:27 Can't help but hope that the budget isn't out of this world, with all that space talk.
9:31 I won a science fair once. It was a tea-related experiment.
9:32 I like all these sports comparisons- race to the top, ours to win, etc.
9:34 Teachers as "nationbuilders". Wow. Makes me want to be a teacher and build a nation. Too bad I'm most interested in English.
9:39 Taking on the issue of immigrants seems like a massive undertaking.
9:40 Highspeed rail and highspeed Internet? Awesome.
9:44 Snack time.
9:46 Is our food safe to eat? Maybe our foodstuff is. I realize how lucky I am when I can make that snarky comment and also how much I've been reading about nutrition and/or watching The Biggest Loser
9:53 He's really pushing the bipartisan approach. He does it well.
9:55 YES! Simplify the tax code. Please.
9:56 Reorganization? I wondered if that was coming earlier when President Obama was talking about cutting the budget. I've been hanging around big companies too much lately. Sheesh.
10:00 C's home. I'm feeling a little sheepish about this project now.
10:03 "Begin" to bring our troops home. This seems like what's been said before...
10:05 I'm losing steam, but it seems rude to abandon the President. My landlord just started rocking out on his electronic keyboard. John Kerry would smile if he could hear it.
10:08 "One voice." The push for unity is everywhere around me too.
10:10 Selling messy democracy. He's at it again. Man, he's good. Somebody should elect that guy.
10:15 BAM. Let's do big things.
Well, looks like the VCR clock is running a couple of minutes ahead. That's the clock I was using. How embarrassing (right). That was an interesting way to view the address. I missed a few things, but it was also a bit like taking notes. I wasn't very clever, but I think this might be interesting to look back and read. In some ways, it made me feel shallow, but in other ways I felt good because I was really paying attention and being thoughtful. Several themes have emerged from my life of late. A number of speeches and books are on the motivational, even inspirational side. The reorganization, the budget cuts, the push for unity all keep cropping up.
I have high hopes for highspeed Internet and rail, as well as electric cars, alternative energy, simplified tax codes, and more. I'm ready for big things.
1 comment:
We missed the speech so thanks for the play by play! Great job condensing a long evening!
Auntie M
Post a Comment