Apparent tragedy and the Internet
I have a friend whose significant other is apparently lost in the woods. He went on a solo hike some days ago, didn't show up at the appointed hour, and hasn't been heard from since. The search teams have been called off after several days of searching. Everything I know about these events I've heard from the Internet. The initial message that he was late was a Facebook status update. The outpouring of prayer and support were comments and wall posts. The updates were links to local news reports. I've followed along with a clump of fear in my throat and a mind filled with hope.
I'm trying to imagine the emotions my friend must be feeling, but my attempts at empathy are impotent. I can't face my fears, let alone hers. This may be a personal failing or it may be the only way I can continue to function. The only emotion that I can get a grip on is hope. I have hope that somehow the searches missed him and hope that he'll appear. I have hope that everyone involved has the strength to deal with these events and hope that if I'm ever faced with something so serious that I have the support and strength to do the same. I also have hope that my examination of my feelings on this issue in a public forum isn't inappropriate. I'm plowing forward because I have something to say. Is that enough? Several comments on the news sites seem to suggest it is.
I wouldn't usually take my lead from Internet commenters, but I feel an urge to defend a man I don't know. Some commenters, armed only with the knowledge of a few lines in a news report, are prepared to say that he was unprepared for this hike. I can't defend his hiking abilities, but I staunchly defend his right to go on this hike alone and off the grid. I have to believe that what these commenters are really saying is that they have hope. They are grappling with the decisions they make in their lives and on their hikes and they see something familiar in this situation. Recognizing themselves, they can only manage to express their hope in a twisted way. They have hope that if they find themselves in a dangerous or potentially tragic situation they will be able to find a way to survive. I think we all have that hope or we would never leave our homes.
I wish for courage and peace for all involved.
No comments:
Post a Comment