Sunday, July 11, 2010

Jeff's Portland

When I sent Jeff a message on Facebook, I gave him options. I hadn't seen the guy in a few years. We basically grew up together, he was almost like a little brother for a while, but the frequency of our interactions had been on a steady decline since middle school, so I didn't know exactly how much was fair to ask. The options I gave Jeff were multiple choice a) meet up for drinks (it being Portland and all), b) meet up for dinner, c)allow me to couch surf, d) all of the above, e) none of the above. I wouldn't have been offended if Jeff had chosen option e, but I turned out to be very lucky that he went with d) all of the above. Jeff picked me up at the train station and then whisked me off on a Portland adventure. As Jeff is a resident of downtown Portland, the couch/floor lodgings were perfect for me. Better than the comfy carpet was the excellent hospitality. The "triad" of favorite places we toured on the first night included Bailey's Taproom for a fine selection of microbrews and a little boggle, a Mexican restaurant hole-in-the wall that shared a bathroom with an adult establishment, and a nice smokey bar without the smoke called Tug Boat. Jeff introduced me to some of his friends and I felt immediately like a bona-fide Portlander.

The next day I ran the very pretty waterfront, did a little laundry, and headed for the only Portland destination on my list, Powell's bookstore. Powell's was chock full of books. It was city blocks of books. They had satellite locations. The rooms were color coded and on a sunny day I was quickly overloaded. I didn't last long in Powell's but I vowed to return.

Dusting myself off after being overwhelmed by books, I borrowed Jeff's cruiser bike and headed to Hawthorne Street. Hawthorne had a similar reputation to Seattle's Fremont. I wandered a bit and stumbled upon the Waffle Window. The Waffle Window granted my waffle wishes and also served up a stellar mint green tea lemonade. The lemonade was great, but the hippies didn't have what I was looking for otherwise. I biked on from there to Forest Park and took in one of the U.S. of A's largest urban wilderness parks. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but it meant a nice bike trail through the woods for me, so I took it. On the way back, I made a stop at the infamous carts for some BBQ Fusion (which tasted a lot like regular BBQ).

We went to play some pick-up Ultimate that evening, but due to poor planning Jeff and I rarely ended up on the same team. From there we went to dinner at Montage. Montage was a pretty special place. It was under a bridge and had some mixture of Bayou, rustic, modern, under-the-highway vibe going that I couldn't really place. The food was tasty and the leftovers were artsy in some pretty impressive foil creation containers. After dinner, we went to OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) for beer and Einstein. There's something pretty cool about taking a few swigs while wandering around a museum. Whether spotting a member of the band Everclear having that same experience adds to the coolness is still up for debate. Speaking of the 90's, we rocked out to some fine ones on the drive home. I'm fearful that the 90's are the new oldies. Don't tell the guy from Everclear if you see him at a museum.

The next day in Portland, the rains came. I'd started to wonder if every day in the Pacific Northwest was perfect. Even the rain didn't really call for an umbrella. I was starting to like this town. I set to wandering again and found VooDoo Donuts where "The magic is in the hole." I had a delicious Portland Cream, wandered through the Pearl Street District and didn't buy expensive goods, and ate lunch at the counter of the Byways Cafe. My malt was a disappointment, but I soon found myself meandering through Powell's in the way it was meant to be meandered. It was bookstore heaven. If I hadn't already purchased two books and if I hadn't had to carry my purchases, I might have flipped out and purchased a library full of books right there. I managed to limit myself to one book, on sale, and already on my list. I added a few to my "to-read" list and salivated quietly.

That night we met my sister, brother-in-law and nieces in Tigard for bratwurst at Gustav's and Jeff left me for my next adventure in Nike and Tracktown, USA.

No comments: