Motion seconded
Disappointed that I wouldn't be able to join some friends running a race over the weekend, I jumped at the chance to run in a 5k at the Ham Festival in Trigg County, Kentucky. Surprisingly, C agreed to run/walk too. Perhaps it was Southern hospitality, but I wasn't asking questions.
There were about 40 people entered in the race. I knew that I would have a chance to win, but I also understood that my control was limited. I tried to explain this to C, but the mere act of explanation seemed to further cement me as the favorite in her mind. As I told her that even if I had a great race that would really only be different from a good race by 20 or 30 seconds. I didn't talk about what having a bad race would mean. She politely listened and told me that no one else in the race would be thinking about those differences. After seeing a few other people warm up, C did grant me that a few others might at least be thinking about their races.
I eyed my competition and narrowed it down to a trio of high-schoolers, likely on a local cross-country team, an older guy in blue shorts, and a guy about my age in a grey singlet. I knew that looks could be deceiving, but mentally figured this group would pose the threats. I still run like a respectable high-schooler in the 5k, so I had a pretty good idea what I might be up against. Later I would find out that the high-schoolers among my competition had eyed me and targeted me in the very same way. I guess a little judging by the cover can be effective.
I started the race in the second row behind an eager group of munchkins. It was an out and back course, a slight uphill out and a slight downhill back. After passing the kids, I was in a small pack with the threats I'd identified. The grey singlet was already starting to pull away. Blue shorts slowed and announced "It's time to slow down." For some reason, I responded, "But, I have to go after him."
Soon, I found myself alone and breathing. I focused on grey singlet's back. I crossed the mile in 5:23. Grey singlet carried on and I continued to lose just a little bit of ground as we carried on. I remember very little- a few words of encouragement, thanking a volunteer, and grey singlet slowly pulling away. As I came upon the two-mile mark, I was amused to see C headed in the other direction. We crossed our marks a few seconds apart. I'd run 11:03 at two miles, but was delighted that for now I can claim that I'm twice as fast. This will come in handy when we are getting ready to go somewhere.
From there, I pushed on. One man asked if I was going to be able to catch grey. I told him I didn't know, but I was trying. My efforts didn't amount to much more than maintaining the status quo, maybe pushing it slightly. I finished in 17:11. Second place. Grey was some 40 seconds ahead and 50 dollars richer. At least my streak stayed alive. I think I've now finished second overall or in my age group in 5 consecutive events.
Later in the day after the endorphins wore away, I found that I was sore. In very appropriate fashion, as I wandered the streets at the annual festival celebrating pigs, I found it was my hamstrings that were causing me the most trouble.
I'm serious.
1 comment:
Great story. I'm laughing!
With you, I hope.
Post a Comment