Oh, my heart is breaking all right
I went to see The Time Traveler's Wife last night. Now I know that going to see a movie based on one of my favorite books is courting disappointment, but I thought this would be different. I thought Rachel McAdams could make it all work. She tried, but she couldn't. The movie was a mostly emotionless Cliffs Notes version of the book. On some level I understand that a lot of stuff had to be cut out, but I missed that stuff. Sometimes I missed that stuff with more emotion than Eric Bana ever managed in the whole movie.
My recommendation for this movie is to read the book. In the book, time travel and that desperate sort of star-crossed love are exactly the awesome combination that they should be. In the movie, time travel and love are just kind of there. They happen. I'm not sure the screen captured anything that the book didn't, except Rachel McAdams and even she wasn't enough for me.
I'm skipping ahead in time to the next Audrey Niffennegger novel. Update: It's out! I'm skipping ahead in time to when I'm reading it.
No comments:
Post a Comment