Thursday, July 23, 2009

Be very, very quiet

I've been doing a little hunting lately. I haven't killed anything, but I think there's a place to rent that we've got our eye on. House hunting is more complicated than I remember. I haven't done it in six years and I've never done it in a group larger than two, but I still wasn't prepared.

To be fair, much of the hunting was done by my potential flatmates, or really just one who managed to be a whirlwind of house hunting prowess. She was organized, on top of things, and kept us moving along through multiple options. It was a pretty awesome train to be on. I did keep an eye out and I found a few potential places, but we didn't end up looking at them.

It didn't matter. We looked at several. Some were too small. One was too large. One was oddly divided and had a bathroom as far away from everything else as possible without having an outhouse. One seemed like it might work. It had 3 bathrooms and that seems advantageous to everyone but my internal cleaning lady. It had enough space for stuff, like my two bikes and my naugahyde furntiture and me.

When I first started looking, I somehow forgot that four opinions might be different than one. I forgot that it wasn't just my stuff that had to fit, but everyone's. I only partially realized that we would be talking about four commutes and four ideas about what a home should look and feel like. This experience has been good for my thinking. I trust it will not be the last if this all works out.

I don't want to jinx it by talking about it here and I usually don't blog about things in the future, but this time I'm making an exception. I'm not sure how we'll respond if someone else has applied first or if the landlord rejects us. It will be hard to bounce back and head out to look again. It's not just time consuming to hunt for a place to live, I think it requires a good-sized emotional investment. To plan on a space, to picture a life in that space is a challenging thing for me.

I'm really glad I'm only renting at this point. I can't imagine the committment of buying. People who buy must be brave. Me? I'm just shooting from the hip, an emotional outdoorsman looking for the next shack.

No comments: