Monday, May 04, 2009

The sky is crying

The 2nd Annual Alumni game seemed an apt metaphor for the season. We had grand plans and then as time approached to complete the plans things looked to get a little messy. We had to ignore the mess, make the most of it, and play Ultimate. Mostly, this was weather-related messiness and fortunately, the weather turned to light sprinkles which was no problem for the turf beneath our feet. So, we played.

Alan has recapped the game here, which is fortunate, because I was lost. I played with the alums, but couldn't help but cheer on both sides. I never really found my legs, but wasn't that worried because I'd found my friends. Sometimes, I love CUA Ultimate and yesterday was certainly one of those times. Sure there was some on field goodness that made me proud, stuff like Ranjo bugging the heck out of John, while John earned his most improved player status by keeping that disc moving so well. Or seeing Templon throw to Karpo and flashing back three years. It was a little hard to watch Alan pick us apart knowing he is going to be on the alum side next year, but then it was nice to remember that sheer will coupled with physical ability are what make Arin such a force. It was kind of sweet to see Cat prancing around again out of position on the dump and really sweet to see Classics making things happen on both sides of the disc. Nobody could guard Stills and hopefully that trend will continue for other teams. Maybe CUA Ultimate will bring some defense next year if Templon's brother is really on his way to CUA. (Who would have believed that statement would ever be typed?)

It was the off the field stuff that were the true highlights for me. Even with the alum crowd slightly thin, it was a great way and day to celebrate CUA Ultimate. I wish I hadn't screamed at Jimmy, but some things never change, and I did take charge of the situation which I'm proud of. It's been very hard for me to be a vocal leader and I felt like I did that pretty well yesterday with some of the organizing and awards. It felt really good to pull all the grads up to be cheered and it even better to huddle up with everyone at the end and really celebrate with our Popemobile cheer. Thanks everybody. Hopefully our
crowd will grow even larger next year.

No comments: