Monday, March 02, 2009

Snow day

I stood at the end of the driveway in three inches of snow. The government didn't close, so neither did my workplace. Large flakes floated down from the sky. I stood and watched them fall. The earth had that silent bright white magic of a snowstorm. I pulled out my phone, I can do that now, as I stood in the glistening silence. I dialed work and declared my own snow day. I've debated the merits of my decision between shoveling the driveway, sledding, and making snow ice cream. My grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup lunch go in the plus column. The people without jobs, my responsibility to my employer weigh on the con side. It's almost over now, this snow day. I need to be over it too. I made my decision. I enjoyed the snow. I need be fine with the rest of it. Maybe another bowl of snow ice cream would help.

3 comments:

John said...

Everyone needs to take a break every once in a while. Just enjoy the day. What's left of it at least. (We never get off for snow.)

Also, Dan and I are going to be in D.C. the weekend of the 20th. Maybe we can catch up sometime?

AlanJ40 said...

You should totally work at CUA! Snow day and I didn't have to feel guilty!!!

Marilyn B. said...

Can you send me your recipe for snow ice cream--I haven't had that since I was a kid.