My favorite Olympic moment*
I almost hate to admit it because I'm so sick of everyone talking about him, but this moment was too much. I was sitting on the third base side somewhat watching a Nationals game when I glanced down at my watch. "Michael Phelps races in three minutes," I announced. Some thirty seconds later and 400 feet away up in the bar out in centerfield, a small crowd erupted with more energy than we'd seen all game from anyone. I could see TVs in the bar, but my prescription glasses aren't strong enough to see what was on them, yet I knew. People around us murmured wondering what was happening in centerfield."Michael Phelps won gold," I said quietly with a smile. A few minutes later a man with a radio confirmed it. Michael Phelps by 1/100th of a second.
I haven't seen the race yet and although I've heard and read that it was amazing, I'm not sure the visual will surpass my curious communal experience.
*I have not watched any track and field yet and that stuff is pretty near and dear to my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment