Monday, July 21, 2008

Picking up where I left off

Sometime after 9 AM on Friday morning, with a large chunk of day ahead, D and I made our way to Dam Four. We had nearly six uninterrupted hours of waiting until we’d return to the trail. We found a bit of shade and tried to get some sleep. I believe that we both had intentions to sleep, but our 21st century bodies couldn’t find peace with nature. D attempted to sleep in the grass, giving himself over to all sorts of bugs. I tried to sleep in a parking space and found that complaints about my bed’s concrete mattress are in fact exaggerated. I believe I managed two twenty-minute naps before the sun rose up and swiped our shade. D didn’t do much better in the grass. With the heat bearing down on us, we decided to seek out another shady spot nearby. We moved the car and lapped up a few moments of air conditioning, before idling and returning to the hot day already in progress. The shade was thicker in this spot and so were the mosquitoes. I don’t remember the minutes thankfully, but time passed in a lazy way. I swam briefly in the strong current of the Potomac. The cold water was a great relief that no tale of polluted water could dampen. For lunch, or whatever meal one eats when he has been up since Thursday morning, we couldn’t find a knife and so instead used carrots and folded up slices of bread to spread the Nutella. Time passed slowly, but eventually our crowd gathered. P and A slogged their way to us. There was a sense of satisfaction and grit behind the sweat and weariness.

D and I eagerly took our turn. We’d waited all day to get going again. We had about 12 miles to go for this leg and we planned to alternate every 4 miles. Feeling like I had to slice through the air with a machete, I began the section that took us past Dam 4 and a few steps closer to the finish. Weighed down by perspiration, D and I were able to converse during the first section of our leg. We switched off without incident. D took to running and I watched as the heat and the many more miles he’d already put in took their toll. To entertain him, I gladly recounted my high school running career in the sort of detail that few people would enjoy. Hopefully, it kept his mind off his labor. Through too many tales of my past glory or from the easy spin of biking, I nearly leapt from the bike for my next 4 miles. I took off at a brisk clip and then spotted some geese on the trail. They waddled on ahead and I decided to give chase. I was gaining on them quickly, but they seemed unperturbed. As I got closer, they began to waddle more quickly and move slightly to the right to allow me to pass. I was surprised that they were not taking flight, but they waddled on. I increased my speed to pass them and they increased their waddle. As I reached the leader, I glanced over to see a goose waddling fiercely at my pace and looking at me in a way that seemed threatening. I’ve seen the Hitchcock movie The Birds and I wasn’t looking for trouble. I accelerated some more.

I don’t know how fast I was moving at this point, but as the temperature dripped down from the mid-90s, I was cruising. Running on 40 minutes of sleep, past glory, and a fear of geese, I whooped and hollered and had myself a hootenanny in the woods for at least another quarter of a mile. Then came the pain. For every peppy step I’d had over the last 15 minutes, I now felt the weight of foolishness bearing down upon me. It was hot. I was tired. The cherry on top of my miserable sundae was that I’d been ridiculous and careless with my energy. I desperately wanted to ask D to spell me just for a moment, but I couldn’t. So I slowed down. Waaay down. I couldn’t ask D for a rest because he wasn’t fresh and he hadn’t just foolishly chased geese. As I plodded along, he recounted his days as a college activist. I listened as best I could as the thickness of the air closed in around me. I was glad to be outdoors and in nature, but my vision no longer extended much past the slow rise and fall of alternating knees. I was folding up into myself and I still couldn’t escape. Slowly, painfully, we made our way to the exchange point. I greeted M with a very wet hug as M and P took over for us. Another leg was behind us, another leg was ongoing.

Next stop: Dinner. Using a borrowed cell phone, I made a call to one of D’s friends in New York by mistake on the way to dinner. She was very polite. Then I sent a text message to the correct B who was part of another batch of reinforcements. Thank goodness for reinforcements. Dinner was high on a hill in Harper’s Ferry, West Virginia. Darkness was approaching, but the team recounted our first 21-plus hours of enjoyment over food and drink. I wasn’t scheduled to run until 6 AM the next morning and so I elected to have a thick stout beer with my meal. Due to ongoing logistical challenges, one last batch of reinforcements, and the ever-changing Tom’s Run event, I found out that my time on the trail could actually be done. I sipped my stout with a smile, but then the smile left. I wasn’t ready to be done. I hadn’t properly said goodbye. My pleasure at completing my contribution turned to disappointment at not contributing enough. With a few more nods to the organizational wizardry, I managed to become part of a post-dinner 3-person, 2-bike, group heading out for an 8 or so mile leg. I was there strictly as additional support, but at least I’d get to properly wrap up the athletic portion of my experience.

Riding in the dark quietly behind my teammates, with a headlamp helping to illuminate the path, I listened to the periphery of a conversation and reflected on my time on this trail. I rode slowly as B and LMB alternated two mile sections. In one frightening moment, LMB looked over his shoulder and tumbled off the trail. Fortunately, his fall was only a few feet and he was able to pull himself up and continue on, but not for long. I can no longer recall which bikes’ tire went flat or who was on it, but the leak was immediate. We pulled slightly off the trail and began to examine the situation and our resources. We struggled to find a patch kit as we fumbled in the dark with the tire. Someone surely brought a spare tube, but it wasn’t on the bike. Patching a tire often involves letting glue dry before applying the patch. As we let the glue dry, we found that our string of bad luck wasn’t over. We found this out in the form of rain drops. B stood over the tire trying to block the rain from preventing the glue from drying. We got the tire patched up and pumped up and headed on our way. Within 50 feet, the tire was flat again. It was still drizzling and laughter was our only recourse. I agreed to walk the bike in while the other two pressed on. We arranged for a pick-up at the next section which would require cars back-tracking. As my teammates took a few steps forward, I realized that I had no desire to be out on the trail alone at 11 PM at night. I think scared would be a fine descriptor, but I didn’t allow myself to process that much; I just placed one hand on the seat and one hand on the handlebars and took to running with the flat-tired bike at my side. About two miles later, after a few self-handoffs, all three of us arrived at the pick-up point. The rain had stopped, although some thunder remained. We were jittery. This was the first real hiccup in the plans for many of us. Various attempts to pump up tires and redistribute loads were made as we dodged other teams in pick-up trucks and made preparations to continue on. LMB decided that he’d had enough and the only sensible course of action was for a tired me to join B for the next 4 miles. I nervously agreed that it could be done. B and I had a very nice chat as we alternated a few more miles to the end of the leg.

The end of the leg was the end of my athletic participation and my good-bye had been far more appropriate and eventful than I had bargained. The experience starts to become fuzzy at this point. It was sometime about 2 AM on Friday night. Since Thursday night, I’d slept for perhaps an hour and run something like 18 miles, 2 of them pushing a bike. I was pretty tired and didn’t argue when MB helped me clear out the back seat for some rest.

The next thing I remember is waking up and noticing that all the stuff was piled in the front seat. The car had moved further down the trail, all the way to Riley’s lock, and I’d been out cold the whole time. It wasn't quite daylight yet, but it’s approaching. Oh my, those 2 hours of sleep felt amazing. We cheered some more and daylight came. Our goal was approaching and still Saturday morning spread out before us like an enormous picnic blanket. As D and I made our way to the finish line to wait for our teammates we made two startling realizations. D made the first one- he had picked up a buddy, a little f***er of a tick, clinging to his hamstring. I made the second one, with a good 4 hours before the race was to finish we were a mere 15 minutes from my home. After some internal and external debate we decided that a shower and an Internet search for tick removal were in order. The shower didn't fulfill me the way I'd hoped; maybe I needed other things more, sleep for instance, but the tick removal was a success. D and I achieved new levels of friendship as I slowly plucked the little guy from his leg and stuck him in a baggie for safe-keeping.

Then in a quiet sort of way, similar to how this had all begun, we waited for it to be over. We all gathered together, excited for the finish. Other teams lurked around, but they had the same tired, quiet, heat-worn look that we did. And then, before we knew it, J and J finished it up. Some 200 miles and nearly 36 hours from when we began it was over. They made a few speeches and we nodded our agreement. We ate a few sandwiches and cookies. We took a few photos. We had some beer. Then a month later, after some pizza together and some pool together, I wrote about Tom's Run the way I remembered it. Yet, for all that stuff- speeches, sandwiches, cookies, photos, beer, pool, pizza, writings, nothing could really capture the experience.

It was ridiculous and I loved it.

No comments: