Sunday, June 01, 2008

Up and at 'em
I could find very little enthusiasm for a 5k this morning. By the time I rolled out of bed and headed to the race, I knew that my warm-up would be cut short. Poor planning meant that I had no idea. What I thought would be an 8:00 AM start time was actually a 7:50 start time. I joined the crowd at the line when the starter announced, "1 minute until race time." I snuck through a few extra bodies and went off with the gun. I was awake and knew I had to move up on the tight course before I got boxed in. I moved a little too well as the out of this course was mostly on a slight downhill. I knew I was pressing, but I felt completely out of whack and so I figured I might as well press on. At the halfway point, I was out of touch with the group in front of me and running at 8:25. I knew that it would take a miracle to keep that pace. At 2 miles I was at 11:07 and the morning was starting to weigh heavier than early summer humid air. I chugged along, pretending that I might found the wherewithal to make a move forward. Eventually, I was passed by a few more people and I considered a full-blown collapse. I fought to the finish without being passed again, but I was out in no man's land. I finished in 17th in a time of 17:56 with a few dry heaves.

Some days are better than others...

No comments: