"It tastes like cold meat and grass," me regarding dinner, or Paris journal Day 4
We took a little much needed slow(er) start today and headed to Versailles. I found myself quite frustrated with my lack of French-speaking ability. Today it made getting stamps, counting, and dinner all an adventure. I guess the longer we stay the less I can hide. Versailles was about a 30-minute train ride away. Our museum pass again took us to shorter lines. The front of Versailles was similar to my memory of it, although it was crowded with bus traffic and reconstruction/restoration work. The inside of Versailles was similar to my overall memory of Europe from my childhood excursions. The sights and paintings and royalty all start to run together in this mess of history and gold-plated niceties. As a 29-year old I am better able to focus my energy on appreciating something I'm seeing, but I'm still prone to mental slippage. The audio tour was interesting, but more striking was the comfort I felt from the solitary nature and English speaking voice in the headphones in my ears. The challenges of traveling were weighing more heavily upon me than I had realized.
We had a potentially illegal lunch in the gardens where Megan and I resolved to have chateaus and gardens of our own. We're willing to share if that becomes necessary. I was quite taken with the grounds of Versailles. They must be even more amazing when the flowers are in bloom. We rented bikes and tooled past the farm on Marie Antoinette's estate and then made our way around the outskirts of the grounds. It rained and got cold, but it was still a great way to appreciate the grounds. After the ride, we found ourselves throwing a disc in what appeared to be an abandoned garden. The sun shone brightly on us during this time, but later as we walked to a fountain celebrating Neptune it hailed. (This would become a familiar weather pattern during our stay.)
We wrangled with trains and some Prince biscuits before making it to Centre Pompidou. The museum pass scored again as we got to ride the escalators and look at some modern art. Our artistic souls fought on for a while, but by 8:30 (20:30) dinner called. We ended up in a diner-esque cafe, where our French bumbling was saved by a polite waiter, pointing with fingers, and the words that Megan could help with. Dinner was a curious mix of flavors. I ended up with a dish of cold meat, a delicious chocolate mousse, and a stellar bottle of Pelforth beer; it was French, brun, and quite tasty.
It's the last day of our museum pass tomorrow and we're looking for one more big push. A bientot.
No comments:
Post a Comment