Saturday, March 08, 2008

Rellena long day
Six hours and one Quesadilla later, I have returned home. In some circles the quest for decent Mexican food might be warranted. There are likely some secret Tex-Mex hideouts in the Southwest that even the Tex-Mexicans have only heard through rumors carried on salsa-flavored wind. Maybe there are pockets of culinary mastery in small towns just the other side of the Rio Grande. For those hideouts and pockets, a six hour outing might not be unheard of, might even be rewarded, but here in Maryland, a trip to Salisbury for Mexican food might be a tad foolish. The heart of Wicomico county may be many things to many people, but mecca of Mexican is likely not one of them.

It's fair to say that our intent was not to travel long distances only to eat the tortillas of our Mary-Mex brothers and sisters. In fact, I was there, like many places, to be involved with Ultimate. The heavens had other ideas and poured rain down upon us in a way less like sheets and more like down comforters. Heavy stuff. Taking a cue from Happiness gurus, I've decided to focus on the positive.

Let me start with lunch. Without lunch, breakfast and dinner are very far apart. Let me continue with the company that I kept. There's a field trip-esque quality that comes with traveling in packs. It's easy to overlook that joy, especially at a WaWa where it turns out that the pack is also the line for the toilet. We take our lines wherever we go. It's like we leave the fun part of amusement parks and just carry the annoying part around in vans. I'm working on the positive; I'm no guru yet. There was a warmth, in 'Tini's laugh, in the unveiling of the bent digit, in the high-powered and confusing lemon juice, that will get lost between rain drops and ticking clocks. I greatly enjoyed witnessing sugar roulette, which wasn't as deadly as it sounds. The sun breaking through the clouds and poking rich green farmland was something out of a painting and the winds something out of a movie, like maybe Twister. We didn't see flying cows, and sometimes what isn't there can be just as positive.

No comments: