Any other year and it'd be March
The post was going to write itself. Traveling on the down escalator to baggage claim, I was contemplating cell phones. My anti-cell mojo has taken a series of hits. I don't have the conviction that once splashed across the computer screen. I've grown weak and my reasons for maintaining disconnected start sounding nostalgic before they leave my throat. Recently, I encountered a test to my cell-free existence. I was trying to meet friends- an event in and of itself that has changed in my lifetime. I was to call from a payphone when I arrived at the predetermined Metro station. From there my friends would pick me up and drive me to the show. Payphones are getting scarce, but they can be found in the Metro without difficulty. I packed my 50 cents, the going rate for a local call these days, and grabbed an envelope and scrawled the number that needed to be called across the top. Metro whisked me to my destination and I strode to the phone. Popping my quarters in and dialing the number, I called for a ride. I heard a voice on the other end and said, "Hello." Several "hellos" volleyed back and forth with increasing intensity on my side and increasing question on the other side. My initial reaction was that my leg was being pulled, but I soon realized that like my convictions, the payphone was faltering. Finally, my friend said, "Dave, if that's you, we're on the way to the Metro."
I hung up, walked away and wondered if I should try the other phone. I didn't have 50 more cents. I searched my pockets several times for a stray dime, but came up empty. I stood a little bewildered wondering what I should do when the payphone started ringing. At first I was stunned, but then I jogged over and picked it up. "Hello," I exclaimed.
"It rang four times and stopped," she said.
I wanted to tell her why, but I could only stare at the phone and then hang up as the universe laughed at me. Taking solace in our first exchange I made my way out of the ground and hoped that I'd spot the car that would carry me on. I looked for other payphones, but found none. I considered asking a kind stranger for a phone call, but wasn't feeling too keen about that. How long should I wait on the corner before giving up and heading home? Fortunately, my wait didn't last long and the carriage appeared. My existence was quickly redeemed and I partially blocked out this event.
It must have simmered beneath the surface, because as the escalator descended I was formulating new arguments against a way of life I continue to resist. People don't have quiet moments anymore, I thought to myself. I'm going to be at baggage claim for the next half hour and then have a Metro ride home and not say a word to anyone. I will wait until I'm home to recount the tales from my trip. It sounds a little lonely when written that way, but it builds suspense and excitement. It allows me to collect my thoughts and appreciate the present. These people that would wait for their bags nearby, they'd all be chattering away, never reflecting, I was certain. How sad, I thought. What has the world come to?
The bags began churning out and I looked around and realized that almost no one had a phone jammed in his or her ear. A few flipped one open as they rolled luggage away, but most people were waiting quietly like me.
I don't know if it was the day of the week, or if I'm just too hard on my fellow man. Maybe we're not as bad off as I thought. However, we're still meeting at a predetermined time at a predetermined location because I can't call on the way, unless I have a few quarters and some good luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment