Ah! The cinema!
Every so often a movie comes along that makes me want to grab someone's hand and go running through the streets.
Spirit of the Marathon is that movie. I could sense a closeness in the crowd immediately; it was the kind of vibe that usually surfaces at highly anticipated comic book movies, the difference here was that these were my people. The crowd was full of runners. Most of them may not have had the joys of a pre-movie run like my fine friends and me, but I could sense that most had been bitten by the running bug now and again.
I don't know what this movie would be like for the non-runner, but it gave me chills. It's put together so well and it helped me recall almost all of the trials and the triumphs of my marathon experience in 2004. On top of that pleasure, it manages to illuminate some other amazing stories including the elite marathoners. It's well shot providing both footage that gives some perspective to the vastness of the experience of tens of thousands of crazy people all pushing toward a goal as well as that individualized in the training and in the race perspective of the singular struggle.
It's awesome. I'm not sure I could get much more excited about a documentary unless it was about me. Maybe not even then because that might be both awkward and egomaniacal.
4 comments:
I'd watch a documentary about you...hmmm, what would we call it???
Sounds awesome, Dave! I see it's playing again in February - how much were tickets?
Chuck and his running buddies saw that film here in Iowa--sold out! He loved it--did Kristin tell you her dad is running in the Boston Marathon? Whooohooo!
Dan- I'll leave the naming to you.
Kyle- they were worth every penny.
Marilyn- Woohoo, indeed!
Post a Comment