But, I just got out of college
I received a picture from a friend I haven't seen in a while. She looks fantastic, but she doesn't look like she did in college. I suppose she shouldn't by now, it's been a year and some change, a drawer full of change. She's been married, bought and sold a house, changed jobs, quit a band, joined a band, and certainly been through lots more that I'm not even remotely aware of. I don't know exactly how age shows up in people; it probably doesn't show up the same way in everybody, but she looks her age. She looks our age in this gorgeous, intelligent, grown-up sort of way. She looks the way I never thought we'd look.
I see myself in the mirror every day. Is this the way I look? I mean, obviously, you've got to take out her long hair and substitute my beard and she doesn't wear glasses, ok, ok, I mean do I look my age? Well, I've been told that when I trim my beard I look 10 years younger, which means when the beard is bountiful (and oh so rugged) I look well past my age. Wave to my age in the rearview mirror, kids. I'm trim now. I'm looking. The mirror says one thing, but my heart says another. Even with the (melodrama alert!) world-weary heart of late, I'm still a bit surprised when I don't get carded for the drinking. It's not an issue of being a regular customer either. I mean, if I were a campus I'd be a dry one. Which means that the vodka is hidden on the top shelf behind hair dryer?!? I'm not a campus, of course, but why does college feel so close?
2 comments:
Maybe it's because you see me too much...
Catholic's Ultimate team is enough stress for my full head of hair. I just hope it goes gray before it all falls out...
Did you say you weren't coming to my college Ultimate party?!? I've got vodka behind the ironing board.
Hey, whaddamean I look my age?!? Funny. I thought the same thing when I saw that picture of myself. Wow. I grew up sometime when I wasn't looking. (In my "defense," as if looking the age that you are is a bad thing, that pic was taken after a very long month of trying to adjust to a new job and sell a house, a very long weekend of lugging boxes around, and a very long night sleeping on a lumpy futon we hadn't packed up yet... so after some time in the NM sunshine, I may look more like the old Sarah you used to know... I think this because I've been carded twice in the past two weeks ; ) )
Are we adults now? Because, man, I don't feel like one. Or maybe I have a really skewed version of what "feeling like an adult" means?
Post a Comment