Sunday, June 10, 2007



It's drive-into-and-then-fly-around-in country, thankyouverymuch
I'm going to start lobbying for a Mideast counterpart to the Midwest. I think Ohio (that's spoken with hand gestures and transformer noises-oo-ee-ee-oo) is unfairly classified as midwestern. It's not even in the central time zone. Ohio (oo-ee-ee-oo) proved to be an excellent driving destination. Just far enough to make the ol' rumpus hurt, but not far enough to send shivers up my spine. There would be no Arby's encounter this time, only a car ride full of arms in the air like we just didn't care or perhaps cared too much and dancing, or the seated marching to The Bravery's circus/Andy Griffith-esque trip theme music. Eventually, we'd end up in Columbus to watch the annual flight of the frisbees. It's a mating ritual. It's a force of nature. (C) It's none of the above. (D) It's all of the above. The College Ultimate Championships is where some very aggressive, physical, beautiful Ultimate gets played. My favorite moment was a successful greatest in a quaterfinal match-up between Stanford and Texas. A big huck to the end zone by Texas was D'ed by Stanford. The Texas guy then jumped out of bounds to grab the D'ed disc and flung it back in for a score. They don't call it the greatest for nothing. I was awed by one Colorado man because he appeared to be doing nothing and then suddenly was doing everything. I think I only saw him try once, every other time it was effortless. He was bored. Discs couldn't move fast enough to elude him and no one could keep up. In the end, he was only one man and he was felled by a bunch of Ho'dags.

No comments: