Book review: Pistol
I don't find books. Books find me.
I just finished a wonderful, painful biography of Pete Maravich. I'd heard of Pistol Pete before, but I had no idea what he meant to the game of basketball or to anyone else. Kriegel did a beautiful job of trying to capture the thrill of watching Pete play (here's a glimpse on YouTube). He also captured a lot of the pain that Pete went through trying to live up to expectations and fight through injuries. He told a complete story from the generation before to the generation after. I didn't quite cry or leap from my seat, but I think I was close on both counts.
Update: This glimpse is better. It really shows what a great scorer and passer he must have been. He's got all the moves that NBA players of today have clearly copied, or by now have copied the players that copied Pistol Pete. He was clearly ahead of his time and probably hungry... Wow.
No comments:
Post a Comment