A weekend of wizardry and magic hobbles to a close
All alone and surrounded by 13,000 people I sat in row Q, my back to the wall, and watched the Washington Wizards defeat LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers in a less-than-stirring NBA basketball game. There were fireworks and dancing girls, but the drama of a good high school or college game just wasn't present. It was probably not worth the nearly obscene ticket price, but it was something I needed to do. Now it is done.
Saturday as the weather tried to decide between rain and snow, I, not surprisingly, played Ultimate. I was a trash man, cleaning up the junk that floated through and around the crowds. My team won easily, but I was most proud of an inside out flick that went right to my teammate Lauren in the endzone. We connected for at least 4 scores. Kinda sweet. Later that day, the weather made up its mind and left a nice white present for everyone to enjoy. Sunday arrived with 6 inches of snow- Whee. I made a snow couch and some snow angels. I took some snowy pictures and then I went to play- you guessed it!- Ultimate in the snow. That was going just fine. I was hurling my body around with abandon and having a lovely time in the snow and mud.
Then the fun ended rather abruptly. I was running along, my feet slap, slap, slapping, when for some reason my ankle decided to join in the fun with a slap of its own. Ankles aren't built for the slap, slap of running, so I collapsed on the ground in quite a bit of pain.
I made my way home, thanked my lucky stars and a few unlucky ones too that I had a roommate to take me to the emergency room, since walking doesn't seem to be working real well at the moment.
No broken bones, it turns out. Just a severe sprain. I always feel a bit like I've let down my doctor when something isn't wrong. Although judging by the baseball swelling out of my ankle, something isn't right. I'm now the proud owner of some swanky crutches.
Those should be fun in the snow. whee, indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment