Sunday, April 03, 2005

I'll give you nostalgia
I was already feeling a little funny going to pick up what could be the last roll of film I ever have developed. It's a funny thing to think about. Rolls of film, having pictures developed, wondering where to store all those negatives, those are now dated concepts. The world is a changing place. There's no lag time between taking the picture and seeing what you've done. It's crazy.

Almost as crazy as taking in a roll of film that's been sitting around for at least 3 years. I knew one picture was on that roll, a picture of me and my mini-keg trophy. (For defensive disc prowess rather than whatever it is that mini-kegs usually bring to mind.) I assumed the rest would be from the Ultimate tournament. They weren't. They're from a canoe trip. Twin was there. And a Kate to be identified later. Justin, Scott, Rob, Chrissy, Chris, Dori, Laura, Paul-- they were all there too. So was an unidentifiable leg. It was the start of their senior year, or junior in some cases. They look so young. I look so young. So beardless, so haired. These are the pictures from a transition period. The time between school and ski lift operator. There are only 7 and had I developed that roll of film 3 years ago, it probably would have slid straight into an album without much thought, but right now it seems very special. It arrives in another transition period. Maybe this time it's from rolls of film to digital, or maybe it's something else. Either way, it's nice to see my friends.

No comments: