Monday, March 07, 2005

What's the written equivalent of shaking your head really really fast back and forth so that your lips flap around and your brain rattles against the inside of your skull?
'Cause that's what I need to do to get back on track. Any semblance of creativity has taken a major dip, even the old confidence shower didn't quite fix things up. (Bet you didn't know that if you twist past cold and past hot you get to confidence. It's true and you know it works because it burns.)

I'm stuck. I'm stuck. I'm stuck.

I had a dream last night. In it I was running a race, only I was so sore from earlier in the day that I couldn't get anywhere fast. All I could do was plod along. And everyone was running faster than me. In my dream I could tell they were waiting for me at the finish because we had someone important to meet. Someone important like Margo. Still, I couldn't go any faster. I distinctly remember my friends Monika and Matt commenting on how incredibly slow I was. At some point it became night time and all the other racers disappeared. I was all alone and running at speeds that can't even technically be called speeds, because that sounds too fast. When out of nowhere this car came along and nudged me. The next thing I knew I was in a screaming match with the female passenger. When I realized yelling wasn't helping the situation, I told her to take a deep breath. I took one too. Then I calmly explained why she needed to share the road, and why it wasn't necessary for her car to run into me. She saw my point and changed her driving habits forever.

There's a valuable lesson in there somewhere. I think it's don't race around if you have to meet Margo, lest you get hit by a car driven by a passenger.

No comments: