Once more with context
I want to talk about the context of experience-- how what you know and what you've done affects every experience that you have. I read somewhere recently that the reason years seem shorter as you get older is because the days become difficult to differentiate. The days don't feel shorter, we just don't try new things and so upon reflection less seems to have happened. Didn't someone say to try something new every day?
Back to the experience- If the experience is affected by context, then isn't every experience different for every person? It kind of makes me feel guilty for screeching, "What!? You don't like ______!" But is experience always affected by context? Here's the unfortunate example that has me thinking along these lines: The whole Buffy musical excitement was roaring when I moved to town. They (they being my friends) made me watch and I couldn't help agree that it was creative and kind of funny and ok, but not something to be so excited about. Until today when I watched it again. This time I watched it having seen all of (most of) the stuff leading up to it. I understood, liked even, the characters involved and it was something to be excited about. I'm not gonzo crazy over it, but again, my experiences with the show are compressed compared to theirs. How often is this occurring? And how many opportunities do we get to have catch-up experiences? Score one for DVDs?
Let's be honest, I'm just glad the tube has me thinking at all.
And,
She reminded me that pancakes can be a key ingredient to seizing the day. I need more reminders like that.
No comments:
Post a Comment