The Apple Pie is probably enhanced too
Baseball is a disappointment. I don't even like it anymore but the news of steriod use still saddens me. I gave up sometime during the last strike. Baseball had its priorities in the wrong place and I guess now that the players and owners have agreed on money, they moved onto drugs. This is big, like a steriod-induced homerun. I'd like to think maybe it's just the big names doing this, the ones we've heard about in the news, but if the stars are enhanced, how are the other guys to keep up? I'm afraid to ask.
What am I supposed to think? The feats of inhuman strength we've witnessed in the last 5 years, turn out to be more than sportswriters prose; they actually might be amazing feats of drugs. I don't want to go to a ballpark to cheer on drugs. I want to watch human struggle played out on the field. I want to watch men and women who have worked and struggled to be at the top of their game competing against others at the top of theirs. I want to leave thinking that if I just worked hard enough, went to the gym, trained all the time, I too could hit monstrous homeruns or run like the wind. Notice there is no step in that dream that involves taking drugs. The top of the game, maybe the best ever are not titles that drug users should have. Don't these people remember the egg frying in the pan? They don't get to be the best, because somehow somewhere they thought that cheating was ok. It isn't. If it is, then that old adage is wrong, which I've suspected but am NOT ok with it. (Cheaters never prosper). And just to prove it, we're probably going to see Bonds get a slap on the wrist and another gajillion dollars to play next year.
America's pasttime is on drugs. Arrest it. Throw it in jail. Protect our children. Save America. Restore my faith in old adages.
No comments:
Post a Comment