Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Advertising to myself
With no TV reception and no cable, I am not bombarded by visual messages encouraging me to change the way I act, look, think, feel, smell, or clean my shower. Sure, I get pop-ups and I see ads in the paper, but without music, without movement, and most of all without repetition, I can ignore those ads much more easily.

In the absence of such bombardment, I have taken to advertising to myself. It isn't as flashy, it isn't as loud, but I think it may be more effective and it certainly costs less. I take one sheet of paper, one marker (sometimes two), one piece of tape, and one bedroom door. I write my goal on the piece of paper with the marker, attach the goal to the door with the tape. Everyday I pass by the door multiple times. The goal starts to seep in. I barely notice it on my way to work or the bathroom, but it's always there. Seeping.

After a while, I think, "hmm. I'll buy what I'm selling."

No comments: