Dancing about Geometry
Some people have magical feet. The music starts and they move with such an incredible grace and fluidity. I saw this older couple last night dancing to the Radio King Orchestra. She looked as if she had just put down her oxygen tank and he didn't look too much better off, but when the trumpet sounded- they were 20 if they were a day. Her feet moved in patterns I couldn't trace and he kept right up, a smile on both their faces.
Good dancers are exciting to watch. And while my grandma would tell you that it isn't like it used to be, good dancers are good dancers. The footwork isn't the same, but the gyrating, pulsating, or break-dancing can still be a joy to watch.
I'm convinced that the real key to good dancing is the smile. Great dancing takes moves and footwork, but good dancing- the fun kind- just takes a smile backed by confidence. I offer music videos as my evidence. In many music videos there is the lead singer/dancer supported by 8 or so back-up dancers. When 9 people do the same move, it becomes a legitmate dance move. Argue with me if you want, and I'll point you to the Macarena.
You don't have 8 back-up dancers? That's why you need the smile. If you're having a good time with your dance move and it isn't hurting anybody else, I say "good show." It's fun to watch people having a good time. It's fun to watch good dancing. Transitive property. To the beat ya'll!
No comments:
Post a Comment