Everyone is on top of the world, except the miners
Parking garages have somehow managed to become a place of solace for me, and I don't even know what solace is. At night, when everyone has gone home to park in their driveways or use the valets, many a parking garage stands empty or nearly empty. Empty parking garages are almost as lonely as full ones. The wacky thing about parking garages is that they are buildings built up, up, up so that you can park. your. car. Massive structures of steel and concrete and neon are built only to hold our massive steel and plastic vehichles that are made to move. Like so many of us, many garages do their job during the day and sit empty at night.
If I climb to the top of a parking garage I find more than a bunch of parking spaces. I find a new perspective. I can float above the trees and find my home below. If I look carefully through the construction I can see the whole world. I can watch all the little people and the little paths they take. I don't have the patience to linger in the home of so many spaces, but for a moment I can be right when I think, "I'm above this."
No comments:
Post a Comment