The girl of my dreams this week
or I'm still in 6th grade, but looking forward to 7th
I asked her a simple question, "Do you have postcards?"
She looked at me quizzically and then said "No". And at that moment I discovered two things.
1. They don't have postcards at CVS.
2. Mary, behind the counter, has beautiful eyes.
I left, but those eyes kept my mind occupied. I wouldn't mind another look.
2 hours later I returned to CVS. I was going to tell Mary that she had beautiful eyes.
I marched up to the door of CVS and immediately turned around and took two steps toward the street. I steeled myself, turned back and walked through both doors of CVS.
I saw her at the counter reading and immediately turned around and walked right back out the doors. I stood outside CVS, hovering, shifting my weight from the "going-in-to-CVS" foot and the "going-back-to-the-car" foot. The car foot won that battle. Defeated, I walked back to my car.
I unlocked the car, sat down, and made fun of myself. "David's afraid of girls" I chanted disgustedly.
I got back out of the car. Locked my door and walked back to CVS. I got to the doors, paused, turned on my heels and headed back to the car. I couldn't do it. It was too embarrassinng. It served no purpose. It was silly.
I got halfway back to the car, turned on my heels and headed to CVS. It's a beautiful day. This girl is stuck inside. What harm can it do to tell her you think she has beautiful eyes? Just do it, wimp.
I paused at the doors. I took a deep breath and I charged inside. I walked up to Mary. Looked her right in the beautiful eyes and stuttered, "I was in here earlier looking for...uh...postcards."
"Yea." she said, wondering what my point was.
"I just came back to tell you that you have beautiful eyes."
And then the eyes and a smile to match suddenly lit up as she said "Thank you".
I smiled back. Tugged at my safari hat, and said, "Have a good day," as I bolted out the door and back to my car to celebrate my victory.
That should be the ending. It isn't.
More or Why can't you just let things go?
Fueled by this triumph and intrigued by the matching beautiful eyes and smile, I've let the vision of Mary carry me through the week. Eventually I convince myself, why should this stop at a compliment? Why not see if you can get a date? Because of course, a girl with beautiful eyes and a beautiful smile that you've exchanged less than 20 words with is going to want a date. Oh yea, and have I mentioned that this girl is in another state? She is.
No matter. The Internet is a magical tool. I find the CVS in another state and I write down its phone number. I would return to the scene, but that seems especially overzealous. No need to get completely carried away...yet.
After careful planning and consideration of how to best not sound like a total psycho, I call CVS.
"CVS. This is Barbara"
"May I please speak to Mary?"
"No one by that name works here."
"Short hair- worked on Sunday?"
"No."
"Oh.
Thanks."
No comments:
Post a Comment