Sunday, January 04, 2004

45 seconds of service
The local KFC/Taco Bell drive-thru has instituted a new "45 seconds to take your order" policy. I support efficiency, but not at the cost of stupidity. We pulled up to the talking box and heard Barry White or reasonable impersonator say, "Welcome to KFC/Taco Bell where we take your order in 45 seconds". Then the recording cut away and frantic order taker female (FOTF) took his place. FOTF shrilly asked, "CANITAKEYOURORDER?" Hold on, let us look at the menu. "THENBACKUPPLEASEBACKUP". So we backed up because no one was behind us. I couldn't really see the menu anymore, but at least FOTF wouldn't be punished for taking a slow order.

We made our selections and pulled back up to the box. I ordered a Santa Fe Gordita and FOTF replied, "WEDON'THAVESANTAFE. HOWABOUTSUPREME, SUPREME? SUPREME?" I was saying "Baja", but FOTF was too busy auctioning off supreme to hear me. I might have wanted more to eat, but by then I was so unnerved that I couldn't remember what. I think they also promised to have our order out in a minute, but the woman in the window had a much more relaxed approach. I bet they haven't figured out a way to time her yet.

No comments: