Who is your Big Bad VooDoo Daddy?
At one point I had much anticipated the follow-up to the self-titled BBVDD album that propeled that swing craze (which will return, I swear.) That anticipation died down some 2.5 years ago. Four long years after that first album my favorite swingers have returned to Save my Soul.
Alas, this album is heavy on the VooDoo and light on the Big and Bad. It has a couple swell tunes in the middle “Simple Songs and “Next Week Sometime”, but those are mixed in with a number of tunes that sound a whole lot like the songs from 4 years ago. Perhaps BBVDD thought we’d forget ‘cause they’d been gone so long, but you don’t forget catchy songs like “Me and You and The Bottle Makes Three Tonight.”
Scotty Morris still makes me want to put on my fedora, drink my moonshine and find myself a flapper and Glen “The Kid” Marhevka still blows a mean trumpet, but if BBVDD swings through this town I’ll be there for the nostalgia and not the “zig zaggity woop woop.”
No comments:
Post a Comment